Create a temporary folder ('deleteme'), and see if you can move the corrupted directory into this folder, then attempt to get rid of 'deleteme'. Boot from a linux-based distribution that has NTFS filesystem support (such as Ubuntu) and delete it from there. When trying to install the printer-specific PCL6 driver from the CD or from an older file downloaded previously from www.hp.com in Windows, the installation fails and you cannot print to an HP LaserJet Enterprise or an HP PageWide Enterprise printer.
- Adobe InDesign CS6 (Or newer) with free HP SmartStream Designer plugin, in order to create your artwork, add variables and pack the job as a print template (.hpd file).
- A MindFire Studio account, in order to create and publish your campaigns.
- Access to HP SmartStream OutboundApp element, in order to create and deliver print-ready materials.
Note: This document will not discuss the template (.indd file) creation within the InDesign software and HP SmartStream Designer plugin. However, will give you the instructions to prepare the final print template (.hpd file) which is required by HP SmartStream OutboundApp. At the end of this document, you can find some screenshots of different tasks in HP SmartStream Designer plugin.
PREPARING PRINT TEMPLATE
- Design your document with Adobe InDesign CS6 (Or newer).
- From within HP SmartStream Designer plugin, add the necessary variables and rules to your document and save it.
- Go to Tools menu and click on Pack Job menu (Image_1 below).
- In the Pack Job window, check Include Fast Template box and click on <Pack> button.
An .hpd file should be now created that can be used for print purposes through MindFire Studio campaigns.
Image_1: HP SmartStream Designer Plugin's Pack Job menu and window. This menu will be used to pack a document for being used inside the HP SmartStream OutboundApp element.
Cannot Open Output File
ADDING THE HP SMARTSTREAM ELEMENT TO YOUR CAMPAIGN
Note: At the minimum, you should have already uploaded one print template in order to proceed with this section. If you haven't done so yet, please read the next section (MANAGING YOUR PRINT TEMPLATES) first.
In order to add a print piece to your campaign, please follow these steps:
- Either start a new campaign or open one of your saved/published ones.
- From Outbounds menu, drag and drop an HP SmartStream element to the canvas.
- Connect this element to either a TargetAudience or a Trigger element.
- Double click on the HP SmartStream element to open its properties window.
- If desired, you can modify the element's name in the same way you would for all other elements. Then Navigate to the Configuration tab.
- If this is the first time using an HP SmartStream element, if you would like to upload more print templates to your account, or if you would like to view a sample PDF of print available print templates (if any), click on Template File Name field, then click on the link under the drop down. Please refer to MANAGING YOUR PRINT TEMPLATES section for more information on how to upload and manage your print templates.
- From Template File Name field, select the print template you would like to be used for print purposes through your campaign.
- From Is Template Imposed? field, select Yes, if you have set up impositioning through HP SmartStream Designer plugin in Adobe In-Design. Otherwise, select No. Please refer to Image_12 for a sample impositioned output.
- Click on Delivery Method and select the method you would like to receive the output file. This can be either an email, a FTP or both.
- Based on your selection in the previous step, provide values for the remaining fields (Email Address and/or FTP URL, FTP User Name and FTP Password).
- Navigate to the Settings tab.
- Based on your print template selection under the Configuration tab, you need to add all the variables used in the template and map them to their equivalent fields from Studio. Repeat the following steps to add as many fields as required:
- Click on <Add> button. You will see something similar to Image_2.
- Change 'Column1' in Field Name box to one of the fields in your template. For instance: FirstName
- Change 'Column Content' in Field Value box to a Studio standard/custom field name. For instance: ##firstname##
Image_2: HP SmartStream's Settings tab is where you map the print template variables with their equivalent standard/custom Studio field names.
MANAGING YOUR PRINT TEMPLATES
HP SmartStream element allows you to upload a new print template or update/delete/preview the ones are already uploaded.
Note: At the moment, each account can only see the templates that have been uploaded under that account regardless of the user. Therefore, if you have different accounts and you would like that all of them have access to the print templates, you need to upload them in all the targeted (sub)accounts.
In order to bring up the Template Upload page to upload new template(s), or later on, to manage your uploaded templates, follow these steps:
- Open a new campaign.
- From the toolbox, click on Outbounds and drag and drop an HP SmartStream element onto the canvas.
- Double-click on the element and navigate to the Configuration tab.
- Click on Template File Name (if it is not highlighted) field, and then on the link under the drop down (Image_3). You should see a window similar to Image_4.
- Depending on what you plan to do, read the related sub-section below.
- After you are done, close the window to return to the previous (Properties) window.
- From the drop down, select the 2nd option: Upload a new print template.. You should see something similar to Image_5.
- Click on the <Browse> button for print template to select the desired print template (.hpd file).
- If desired, click on the <Browse> button for the preview and select a PDF file that represents the print template.
- Click on <Upload> button and wait until you see a success (green) or error/failure (red) message.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 to upload more print templates, if desired.
- From the drop down, select one of the available print templates.
- If you would like to update your print template, click on the first <Browse> button and select a HPD file with the same name as current file (i.e. the name that is displayed in the drop down).
- Click on <Update> button ONLY once and wait until you see a success/failure (green/red) message.
- From the drop down, select one of the available print templates. You should see a window similar to Image_6.
- Click on <Delete> button ONLY once and wait until you see a success/failure (green/red) message.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to delete more print templates and their related preview files, if desired.
- Print template files should always have 'hpd' extension.
- After a print template is uploaded, you cannot modify the template name. The new file should always have the same name as the currently uploaded file.
- Before deleting a print template, always make sure that it is not used in any campaigns that have a future schedule. Or else, that request will fail.
- Delete feature doesn't ask for any confirmation and will delete the print template, if available, immediately.
RECEIVING THE OUTPUT FILE
The output (rendered PDF) file, will be delivered to you either by sending an email with a link to download the file to your computer, or by copying it to your FTP server. This depends on the option you have selected from the Delivery Method drop down in the Configuration tab of the HP SmartStream element's properties window. The email goes to the address that is specified in the Email Address field in the same tab as Delivery Method. You can provide multiple email addresses that are separated with comma or semi-colon. The email output looks like this:
- Variable names in print templates are case sensitive. Therefore, in Settings tab, you need to type them exactly as they have been used in the print template.
- Fields sequence in the Settings tab do not need to match the ones in the print template.
- At the moment, we cannot populate the Settings fields based on the selected print template in the Configurations tab. Therefore, you should know what variables exist in that template and what are their exact names.
- Known Template Limitations:
- See known limitations to rendering templates here (reference PDF-Fast column): HP Smartstream Composer Engine
- Diagonal variable text is not supported in the template
- Apr 6, 2015: Applied changes regarding impositioning feature.
- Feb 5, 2014: GOOD TO KNOW section was modified.
- Jun 11, 2013: Fixed some typos, modified some field names and body and images due to the visualization changes in the app. Also, added GOOD TO KNOW, KNOWN ISSUES AND LIMITATIONS and HISTORY sections.
- Jun 6, 2013: First release.